Translate

Tuesday, October 24, 2017

AMEA Tasmania convention

Hi all. As I had a few people ask about how the convention and workshop went, I thought I’d do a quick post. The convention was fun. It was held over four and a bit days - sales on Friday evening, workshops Saturday, Sunday and Monday, a dinner on Saturday night, a reception at Government House on Monday evening and a mystery bus tour on Tuesday. It was a great group of people, really fun and lively. My workshop was two days and although it was great and my students and I learnt lots, it was quite taxing. I don’t think I would do such a long, intensive workshop again. Here are photos of the 1:24 two sided roombox I taught. Everything is laser cut then painted and aged. 






And here is a photo of the lovely ladies during the workshop! Don’t they look studious? 


We visited the Beaconsfield Mine visitor centre, which was an operating mine until more recent times. It had also collapsed near the end, trapping two miners and killing a third. It was big news here. Anyway, they had lots of interesting displays including this little hospital roombox! Very cute. 


Again have to leave it there as Blogger is about to suck my will to live. I just realised I have a (also infuriating) Lenovo laptop that I might be able to use Blogger on better than the ipad. Hope your week is going well!

18 comments:

  1. Hi Shannon, It sounds like it was a very demanding few days. However, I am sure it must have been wonderful to be with a group of like-minded people and great to make new contacts.
    Regards Janine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janine. Yes demanding but great to be amongst people that share the passion and have so much enthusiasm for your work. Xx

      Delete
  2. Hi Shannon, Your roombox design is lovely. How clever to divide it in exterior and interior rooms! I would have loved to attend your workshop, sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Riitta! I think it adds interest and makes the design versatile. It would be amazing to have blogger friends at at workshop! X

      Delete
  3. Love your little room box. So glad your workshop went well but wow, two days... That just sounds taxing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sheila. Yes!! I think I will stick with simpler, shorter workshops in future. But I guess also as I get more kits and done more workshops, I will get better at designing and running them. X

      Delete
  4. Nice!.. Love your roombox! I'm sure the ladies thoroughly enjoyed it. It does seem like a huge task to take on though. Especially having to pack all that stuff and cross the Tasman with it. :o.. not for the faint hearted for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sam. For most of the time between saying yes and doing the actual workshop, I wondered what the heck I’d done!! But it was good and a learning experience and the people were encouraging and patient, so not so bad after all! Have you done the boat ride? It was an adventure! Fortunately it didn’t get very rough for us. Xx

      Delete
  5. What a great project, Shannon! It looks like you had a lot of students, too! Will you be offering these as kits in your Etsy shop? This looks like a really fun "in between" project that sparks all kinds of creative ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jodi! I do have a few left that I might list in my store, but not sure I will sell it permanently. Well, maybe I will sell a more basic kit than the ones I did for the workshop. It is a cute fun little project, especially for someone who doesn’t do 1:24 scale and might not have many items to put in it. Xx

      Delete
    2. LMK when you list them so I can snatch one up!

      Delete
    3. Will do Jodi. I will check to make sure they are complete and let you know when I’ve listed them. Enjoy your weekend!

      Delete
    4. Hi Jodi. I have two full kits ready to go and one more almost ready to go. These will have a sheet of brick that I used on the exterior side of the box. I have a few more kits to be ready soon that don’t have the brick. I will list them today in my Etsy store. Hope all is well.

      Delete
  6. Han tenido que ser dos días de gran trabajo,pero compensa al ver tu preciosa escena y el estar en buena compañía!!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pilar. Yes, having a beautiful roombox to fill with treasures and great company were worth the work! Xx

      Delete
  7. What a Marvelous workshop Shannon! What must have made it such a challenge, is the amount of details which you have incorporated into the kits then overseeing the progress of each of your students within such a limited time frame.
    That's IS a lot of work but I KNOW that the final results for them and for you, were well worth it! :D

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth! There is a bit of work and detail in these boxes, and I made everyone gap-fill and undercoat everything to get a good finish! But everyone had fun, learnt new things and went off wanting to make up furniture and accessory kits to go in them! The biggest stress for me is whether people think they have learnt enough to justify the workshop price. I wouldn’t want anyone to be disappointed! Xx

      Delete